March 29 2012, Valparaiso, Chile
Today, the International Monitoring, Control and Surveillance Network reached a number of important firsts. These decisions were taken at the Network’s business meeting in Valparaiso, Chile. They included:
- appointed its first Executive Director,
- adopted three new documents setting the Network’s future course of action through the Governing Framework, Strategic Plan and Workplan. There is also a Business Plan to shape the Network’s fund raising strategies,
- elected new officers, Cephas Ralph, Chair, of Scotland, and Michele Kuruc, Vice-Chair, of FAO,
- selected of a new nine-member Executive Committee,
- opened the door to membership to intergovernmental organizations such as Regional Fisheries Management Organizations,
- endorsed a new contest to encourage innovations in fighting IUU fishing with the Stop IUU Fishing Award,
- previewed the Network’s new website,
- discussed the 2013 Global Fisheries Enforcement Training Workshop in Central America and
- reported on the Network’s recent activities and financial statements.
Collectively, these changes represent the beginning of an exciting new chapter in the life of the Network and underscore it as a force for good in combating IUU Fishing.
For more information contact